How Long Does It Take to Charge an Electric Vehicle?
When you charge your phone, you have several options, from wireless charging to fast charging to standard charging. The same is true when you charge a new electric vehicle in Portland. While there’s not necessarily a set time to charge all EVs, we’re here to explain how the type of charging you choose and the EV you drive impact how long it takes to charge your electric vehicle. Still have questions about EV charging? Contact us at Withnell Hyundai and we’ll be more than happy to help.
Options for Electric Car Charging
- Public EV Charging: Looking to charge your vehicle while driving around Seattle? Look for public charging stations, which are being added to many big-name stores across the country every day at spots like parking garages, malls, hotels, and even apartment buildings.
- Domestic Outlet Home EV Charging: A normal three-prong (grounded) 110V/120V charging outlet (also called Level 1 Charging) may not offer quick charging speed but it’s a good option for topping off overnight.
- Installed Brand-Approved Home EV Charging: Level 2 Charging is typically professionally installed in your garage. Rapid chargers made for your vehicle will provide significantly faster charging rates than a standard grounded outlet.
Learn About Popular Electric Car Charging Times
Hyundai Kona Electric: 258-mile range
- Home Charging: With a 220/240V outlet, you can fully charge your Hyundai Kona Electric in 9 hours and 35 minutes.
- Public Charging: Public DC fast chargers can charge the Kona Electric up to 80% in about 54 minutes.
Hyundai IONIQ EV: 170-mile range
- Home Charging: With a 220V/240V Level 2 charger, the Hyundai Kona takes an estimated 6 hours and 5 minutes to charge.
- Public Charging: The Hyundai IONIQ EV boasts a standard 100-kW public quick charging combo cord that gets your battery 80% charged in about 54 minutes.
Jaguar I-PACE: 234-mile range
- Home Charging: You can expect roughly 30 miles of charge in 12 hours with a domestic outlet. With a Jaguar-approved charging unit, you can expect a 0-80% charge in about 10 hours, and 0-100% charge in just over 12 hours.
- Public Charging: 50kW DC fast-charging stations provide 0-80% in 85 minutes, and 100kW DC fast-charging stations provide 0-80% in 45 minutes.
Tesla Model 3: 310-mile range
- Home Charging: Get about 36 miles of charge in 12 hours with a standard grounded outlet, or 0-100% charge in about 9.5 hours with the Tesla Wall Connector.
- Public Charging: DC fast chargers provide up to a 0-80% charge in about 10 hours for the Model 3.
- Tesla-Exclusive Superchargers: 0-80% charge in about 30 minutes. Tesla’s global charging networks with Superchargers are pay-to-charge stations that will still be cheaper than gas.
Chevrolet Bolt EV: 238-mile range
- Home Charging: Get roughly 48 miles of charge in about 12 hours with a standard grounded outlet. Get a roughly 0-100% charge in 9.5 hours with the available 240V 32-amp charger.
- Public Charging: Get 90 miles of charge in about a half an hour with DC fast charging (or 0-80% in a little over 2 hours).
Nissan LEAF: 150-mile range
- Home Charging: 7.5 hours will get you a full charge with a Nissan home charger.
- Public Charging: 30 minutes with a normal public charging port will get you about 90 miles of driving time. Utilizing the Nissan Quick Charge port will get you a 0-80% charge in about 40 minutes.
Find Your Next EV Near Corvallis
Want to learn more about how charging your EV at home vs. in public works? Contact Withnell Hyundai for our Hyundai expertise, or check out our offers and incentives. When you’re ready to experience a new Hyundai Kona EV or IONIQ Electric for yourself, visit our new and used Hyundai dealership for a test drive!
More from Withnell Hyundai
The Hyundai Kona is one of the newest and most efficient models in Hyundai’s SUV lineup. This crossover combines agility and style making it a great option for the day ahead. Withnell Hyundai has new Kona SUVs for sale near Salem, OR right now. We are your local Hyundai dealer with new Kona models in…
Hyundai Elantra is one of the best-selling sedans on the road with Hyundai’s latest technology and an impressive fuel economy. This sleek four-door sedan offers innovation and agility with head-turning design and six trim levels that are sure to please. Withnell Hyundai has your new Hyundai Elantra available right now near Salem, OR. We want…
Get the versatility and performance you crave in the new Hyundai Tuscon. This best-selling crossover offers innovation and style with impressive efficiency for the day ahead. Withnell Hyundai has new Tucson models for sale near Salem, OR. We are proud to be your local dealer and pair you with your new Tucson today. Our goal…